About Me

I'm just trying to get back to the basics. Fun, Food, Family and Nature. I want my family to respect nature, appreciate what they have and be as healthy as possible. No, we are not giving up our computers and televisions (I'm not crazy) but we are going to try to live healthier and do more for ourselves. We already hunt, fish, and do limited gardening (due to a lack of yard space). Now ... How can I push it further?

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ninja Almond Cookies

OMG GOOD!!!


I have been looking all over the Internet for the perfect cookie recipe ever since I went low carb. Some have been pretty good but still kind of "off" in some way or another. Too puffy, too hard, too gritty, too twangy (from artificial sweeteners), too blah, blah, blah... Eventually I just gave up and decided that cookies weren't worth it. Something that tastes just barely acceptable is not worth the wasted carbs and disappointment.

No more cookies? What about the holiday's?

Ok, so ... life without cookies just sucks!!! Plus, since I make my own Almond Milk I have all this Almond Meal/ Flour to use up. Two good reasons to experiment. But, the real kicker was the traditional witch's finger cookies for Halloween (My Favorite Holiday). There is no way I'm creating my Creepy Halloween Feast without witch's fingers!!! That would be like Xmas without a tree! It's just not going to happen in this house!

After several (17 according to my daughter) tries, an additional 1.5 lbs on the scale, and a stomach ache from H***, I have finally created what I call the best low carb cookie in MY world. I think combining the sugar free sweeteners and the magic of my Ninja is the secret. You could probably use a food processor if you don't own a Ninja. Just don't forget that the Almond Flour MUST be ground to almost a powder form (just before it turns to almond butter).

These cookies are light and airy almost like a pecan sandie when you flatten them before baking. If you want a moister middle just leave them in a ball shape. My daughter said they taste just like the fancy sandie cookies you buy at the store. I will take that as a compliment!!!

What you need:
1&1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Salted Butter (room temp)
1/4 Cup Granular Sugar Substitute (I use Stevia in the Raw)
12 drops EZ-Sweetz (equal to 1/4 cup sweetener)
1 tsp. Vanilla or Almond Extract (or be creative and try something new)
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Put Almond Flour into the pitcher attachment of your Ninja.
With pulsing action grind Almond Flour into powder (right before it turns to butter consistency).
Add remaining ingredients to Almond Flour and pulse until batter looks like slightly gritty paste. Scraping sides as needed.
Drop by 1/2 Tbs. balls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
Shape them now because they don't change. I dented the center of mine so I can fill them if I want to.
Bake for 8 minutes. No More, No Less.

Makes 24 cookies.

Nutrition Info Per Cookie:
Calories - 57
Fat - 5g
Carbs - 1.29g
Fiber - .75g
Net Carbs - .54g
Protein - 1.53g

As always - Nutrition info is based on the brands I use.





No comments:

Post a Comment