About Me

I'm just trying to get back to the basics. Fun, Food, Family and Nature. I want my family to respect nature, appreciate what they have and be as healthy as possible. No, we are not giving up our computers and televisions (I'm not crazy) but we are going to try to live healthier and do more for ourselves. We already hunt, fish, and do limited gardening (due to a lack of yard space). Now ... How can I push it further?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dixie


DIXIE

OK, who left my cage door open again? Everyone knows that if I'm let loose and unattended something crazy happens. Soooo ... I bought a goat.

What am I going to do with a goat? Well ... She's an Alpine dairy goat. In my quest to lead a more natural and healthy life I plan on using my own organic goat milk for drinking, cooking, cheese making, soap making and whatever else I can make with it. She is fed purely organic grain and free ranges on grass during the day. She also gets lots of yummy vegetables and fruits from our kitchen every day. We offer her hay in the evening when we put her up for the night but so far she hasn't touched it. Currently she gives about 4 cups of milk a day. Thats not alot but she's young and it's her first year milking. The previous owner was only milking her once a day, but we have now increased her milking to twice a day. She adjusted very well to her new home and schedule. We plan on breeding her soon so we will have to dry her up for a while when she is pregnant. Hopefully we get lucky and get two does out of her, then we will have a couple more milk producers when they grow up and have kids of their own.

She's just the sweetest little thing. My girls just love her to pieces. It makes me sad when we leave her becuase she cries out for us to come back :(  She will be happier once she has her kids to keep her company. Unless she makes me feel too bad before then, then I might break down and buy another doe so she's not lonely.




No comments:

Post a Comment