About Me

I'm just trying to get back to the basics. Fun, Food, Family and Nature. I want my family to respect nature, appreciate what they have and be as healthy as possible. No, we are not giving up our computers and televisions (I'm not crazy) but we are going to try to live healthier and do more for ourselves. We already hunt, fish, and do limited gardening (due to a lack of yard space). Now ... How can I push it further?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Low Carb Sugar Free Primal Pumpkin Pie


Finally, something I can enjoy totally guilt free for dessert on Thanksgiving.


It's perfect, IMHO anyway. Even my kids like it, and lately they have been very picky. I used almond milk in this recipe because I usually have lots of it on hand, or at least the ability to make it on the spot when I need it. I made this one without a nut crust because it was still in the experimental phase and I just didn't see the need to waste any nuts in case I had to try again (sometimes my recipes take a few tries to get it right). Luckily, I don't have to try anymore, so for Thanksgiving this will be baked in a wonderful nut crust. It should fill a regular size pie crust perfectly.


What you need:

1 (16 oz) can pure pumpkin or 2 cups cooked pumpkin puree
1 Cup Almond Milk
2 Large Eggs (separated)
1 Tbs. Cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup artificial sweetener of choice (I used 24 drops of EZ-Sweetz)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put everything except egg whites into a large bowl and stir together well. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Add egg whites to pumpkin mixture and stir together just until blended well. This is where you want to taste it and adjust the sweetener or spices to taste.

Pour mixture into a prepared pie crust or an 8X8 greased baking dish.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Pie will rise while baking but sink back down when removed from oven.

Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition Info Per Serving:
Calories - 52.25
Fat - 1.75
Carbs - 6.23
Fiber - 1.94
Net Carbs - 4.29
Protein - 2.58

(Nutrition info is based on the brands I use)





No comments:

Post a Comment