About Me

I'm just trying to get back to the basics. Fun, Food, Family and Nature. I want my family to respect nature, appreciate what they have and be as healthy as possible. No, we are not giving up our computers and televisions (I'm not crazy) but we are going to try to live healthier and do more for ourselves. We already hunt, fish, and do limited gardening (due to a lack of yard space). Now ... How can I push it further?

Friday, December 2, 2011

Butternut Squash Fries


Because of an abundance of butternut squash from a friends garden this year I have a huge stash of them in my coat closet (Hey, it's the only cool dark place I could find). So I started wondering what I was going to do with them all. I thought about the usual ... soup, casserole, mashed with butter and honey (my daughters favorite) but all I kept thinking was ... boring. Then I remembered sweet potato fries, hmmmmm, squash isn't that far off from sweet potatoes. Just one problem, last time I made sweet potato fries they were too soft and not like fries at all. One of my daughters favorite treats are these french fries that are battered from this restaraunt we stop at after the flea market. I can do that!!! Maybe? It's worth a try. Well, 5 batches later I have something that everyone agrees is good and a definite keeper. Even though they aren't exactly the same they are very good. They have crunch and work well for dipping (mayonaisse is my choice).

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Mix equal parts coconut flour and almond flour, the amount depends on how many you want to make.

Add spices and paprika to flour mix according to your own taste.

Peel and cut squash into french fry sized strips.

Rinse squash fries with water to moisten.

Toss wet fries in flour mixture until evenly coated.

Put fries on cookie sheet and lightly spray with oil of your choice. (I use olive oil).

Bake for 15 minutes, turn fries over and bake another 5 to 10 minutes.

That's it. Enjoy your crispy fries with any dipping sauce you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment