About Me

I'm just trying to get back to the basics. Fun, Food, Family and Nature. I want my family to respect nature, appreciate what they have and be as healthy as possible. No, we are not giving up our computers and televisions (I'm not crazy) but we are going to try to live healthier and do more for ourselves. We already hunt, fish, and do limited gardening (due to a lack of yard space). Now ... How can I push it further?

Monday, January 16, 2012

Eating Primal(ish)

On my Facebook page today one of the people I follow - Primal Toad @ http://www.facebook.com/PrimalToad?ref=ts - asked a question that really got me thinking. His question was ... "What does primal or paleo mean to YOU?" My answer was "Eating foods the way Mother Nature created them not how man modified and manipulated them." Personally I consider the way I eat to be Primal(ish). The (ish) part comes in because I choose to drink raw milk and eat peanuts. I prefer not to use artificial sweeteners anymore, but cannot say that I don't, at least until my Stevia plants grow and I can make my own liquid sweetener, or, I break down and buy some to get me by. I prefer to use raw honey for most things I need to sweeten up. My ultimate goal is to grow, can, dehydrate and freeze almost all my own foods. I have a goat, that I'm hoping is pregnant (I won't know for a few months yet), that I get my raw milk from, which is also my main source of cheese, and I have ducks and chickens I keep for eggs. Unfortunately I cannot own any animals for meat because my daughters will hate me for eternity if I were to eat one of our "pets". Luckily I live in a huge farming community and buying half a cow from a farmer isn't too difficult. At the very least I know that the cow was raised ethically and in a humane environment without steroids. Living in Wisconsin opens up a huge opportunity for me to also gather several kinds of berries and fruits from the wild. Maple syrup is my newest brain storm. I just need to research it a little more and find a source. So maybe my way of eating mimics the Primal/Paleo way but isn't strictly by the rules. I've never been good with rules anyway. I guess for now I'll just refer to it as eating natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment